soup season is thankfully almost over! don’t get me wrong–i love soup, i love making soup. but i am not a fan of cold weather at all. i really only tolerate it because i can make the soups! so, since it’s still real cold in new york, i decided to combine a few of my favorite things…sweet potatoes, cauliflower, garlic & capers! i was really winging it on this one because i’ve never tried these ingredients together-it just sounded good. and, it turned out delicious! it was also really easy. plus i was able to get some cleaning done during the roasting part. and, my apartment smells so good!
roasted sweet potato & cauliflower soup
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- toss cauliflower & sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large casserole dish. sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- cut the top off of the head of garlic & place in a small ovenproof bowl. drizzle with olive oil.
- put capers in a separate small ovenproof bowl & drizzle with olive oil.
- place all 3 dishes in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- stir cauliflower & sweet potatoes and the capers. cook an additional 20 minutes, checking after 10 minutes & stir again if needed.
- when done, the cauliflower & sweet potatoes should be cooked through & browned on the outside. garlic should be soft when pierced with a toothpick or knife in the individual cloves. the top will be golden brown. the capers will be crispy.
- let cool a little and transfer the cauliflower & sweet potatoes to a blender. keeping a handful of florets aside for garnish.
- squeeze the garlic paste out of the skins & put in the blender.
- add 3 cups broth & the spices. puree until smooth, adding more liquid until it’s the consistency you like.
- pour the puree into a saucepan & heat over low flame until warmed through.
- transfer to bowls and garnish with a few cauliflower florets & capers.
i think next time, i’ll set aside a larger portion of the roasted cauliflower to make a chunkier version of this.